Re: worth upgrading/ installing?

hbrhodes wrote:
anyone think or know if it is worth upgrading to FC5 from FC4?

I can barely remember FC4. FC5 seems worth upgrading in my opinion. Others might have different views however.

is it more worthwhile to do it a clean install?

Depending upon the intended usage for the installation, either choice is applicable to the desired outcome. I have one system where I want progressively update it but keep the basic aspects from before. It is a complex setup that I would not like to recreate. With the upgrade, I do now have a problem where I need to stop and restart the interfaces for the Ethernet cards. The system works fine other than that problem. I could not apply a traditional upgrade on this via the installer and had to go about it piecemeal, I feared doing a fresh install due to the vested time that I committed to the installation historically.

Trying a fresh installation might not have succeeded on this particular computer. I do not want to risk this possibility.

On another system that I tried to do a fresh installation on, the video card (Intel 815 on board and an mga pci card as secondary) failed to allow me to install in graphics mode. The previous test 3 disk allowed this to be possible. This limited the choices for advanced boot loader options and the selection of xen not to be present. The trouble with the video was the installer tried to select the pci mga video card as primary but X was addressing the Intel card which is set to primary in BIOS. It just plain does not work for some hardware to do GUI installations even though the last version installed fine, even as recent as the last beta to the final release.

If you are interested in using xen to see if you can make virtual domains and similar new features work and have fun attempting to set them up. I think that a fresh installation is the best option.

You probably will have fewer problems related to previous versions performing tasks in different ways or launching processes in a different order. I believe the need to restart my Ethernet card in each boot is related to the "old way vs. the new way" processes, services and the like are launched. I'd rather live with the problem and investigate this further and straighten out it eventually. You might desire a just works approach though. It is impossible to realize wht method will just work for you, if any.

Just my view,
Jim

--
Arnold's Laws of Documentation: