Re: slow FC4 to FC5 upgrade

On 3/24/2006 11:16 AM rus wrote:
I found the same problem, and after installing, a 'yum update' also took
forever.

Eventually I narrowed it down to the test transaction stage, and in
particular, the fact that I had about 15 old kernel-devel packages (from
my previous FC4 installation) was crippling rpm transactions.

I wrote a quick bash script to loop through and 'rpm -e' all my old FC4
kernel-devel packages - which took quite a long time.  It seemed to cure
the problem for me.

How do I know what kernel-devel packages I have? Did you grep it out of an rpm listing? If it is simple, would you be willing to post that script? I have another computer to upgrade eventually, so I might want to clean things up in advance.