Re: Installing FC5 x86_64 With Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 00:49 -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Robert L Cochran <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I just tried to install FC5 x86_64 using both DVD and an NFS image
> > install on my wife's Athlon 64 machine which is equipped with:
> >
> > Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra video card
> > Dell 2405FPW flat panel monitor (which includes a whole bunch of flash
> > card readers, USB and sound ports)
> >
> > When the DVD boots up the boot: screen image shows just fine.
> > typing 'linux mediacheck' or 'linux askmethod' at the boot: prompt also
> > works fine until anaconda tries to bring up X.
> >
> > The graphical X installer wouldn't come up at all. Text utilities such
> > as mediacheck work fine.
> >
> > This means I can't install in graphical mode at all.
>
> Have you tried a text install?
> linux text
> Note: you can install X and all things graphical from a text install.
> No, not ideal, but it may work (which is better than nothing).
>
> > I see from checking the postings that the problem is kernel-related and
> > a new kernel is expected. How do I get the install to work -- do it in
> > text mode and update to a newer kernel? Is there a way to get anaconda
> > to boot with a substitute kernel not on the installation CD?
>
> No, that is a different issue for post-install.  It doesn't affect the
> open-source nv driver used by the installer, only the binary nvidia
> driver you might want after installing.  There should be a kernel
> update which fixes this bug sometime soon.

This bug may not affect the nv driver, but the serious problem exists
with the nv driver.  It still will not work for me on the default 2054
kernel x86_64, and as yet there is no update to either the nv driver or
to the kernel in updates.

I do understand there is an updated kernel in testing that I plan to
try.