Re: how to convert to RAID-1 in place?

Jack Howarth wrote:
> Roberto,
>     How about the protocol I posted at...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-March/msg04350.html
[...]
> My understanding is that I can avoid the resizing issue with the RAID-1
> conversion using the approach of creating the RAID partitions on the second
> drive and copying the data over to them. Once I can boot from the second
> drive using the md partitions I can use the partitions on the first drive
> as spares and not worry about the resizing issue.
>                  Jack

Your protocol is good too, the difference is that with your method:

- disadvantage: you have an extra total file copy, so it takes time
(copying many small files is much slower than syncing the RAID-1)
- advantage: you defrag the data
- disadvantage: you have to be careful with tar flags and you will
never get a perfectly identical copy (atime, mtime, ctime could be modified)

Let's say that you're not really converting to RAID-1, you're copying
everything to your new RAID-1 and then adding your old partitions
to the RAID-1.

Your protocol also explains the issues related to grub, mkinit, which I
left out, but are certainly important if you're doing the operation
on your root partition.

Best regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it