Re: how to convert to RAID-1 in place?

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 09:50, Jack Howarth wrote:
> Roberto,
>     How about the protocol I posted at...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-March/msg04350.html
>
> This is based off the instructions at...
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Convert_a_devfs_single_drive_system_to_RAID
>
> and
>
> http://www.epimetrics.com/topics/one-page?page_id=421&topic=Bit-head%20Stuff&page_topic_id=120
>
> My understanding is that I can avoid the resizing issue with the RAID-1
> conversion using the approach of creating the RAID partitions on the second
> drive and copying the data over to them. Once I can boot from the second
> drive using the md partitions I can use the partitions on the first drive
> as spares and not worry about the resizing issue.

Yes, with that approach the only issue is that you are doing a
tar copy of a running system.  I've done that (and most full
backup/restores would be done that way) but you want to make
sure that you aren't doing things that would modify important
files during the copy.  You should also be sure you understand
how to boot the install CD in rescue mode and fix grub
if the system ends up not booting correctly.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx