Re: Nvidia and Fedora 3-5

Steven Pasternak wrote:
Hi! I have been using Fedora since core 1, and since core 3, nvidia has always caused a problem. I always have to jump through hoops to get it to work. How come? On SuSE 9-10 Nvidia has never caused a problem. It doesn't complain that the kernel module can't be built or something weird like that. I was able to get it to work with core 5, but I had to get a new kernel, recompile an rpm, and install a boot-script (found out how on fedoraforums.org)!! What is up with that?
-Steven

The kernel at time of release for FC5 wasn't compatible with the nvidia or ati binary drivers, since they're closed source it wasn't a release blocker in the dev team's opinion, however a kernel should be released shortly that won't have this problem. Once this is done, simply install the kernel module / driver provided by livna, and you're done, much simpler than fiddling around with the binary installer from nvidia.
-Dan