Re: bittorrent slow

On Wed, 2006-22-03 at 12:48 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 March 2006 03:59, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >
> >>Florin Andrei wrote:
> >>
> >>[snip]

> >>If I were your ISP, I'd be glad to see your backside.
> >>
> >>This attitude is part of why I said I'm philosophicaly opposed to
> >>BitTorrent.
> >>

> > Why?  Properly done, it doesn't make their data traffic any worse, in
> > fact less "peaky".  I'm seeding both the cd's and the dvd of FC5 right
>
> [snip]
>
> Untrue. Are you claiming to be a load balancing expert? I've worked
> in telecom, and what you claim is untrue. On most systems the
> backward link has much lower capacity than the forward link, and
> having a bunch of people uploading rather than downloading
> saturates the link. It amounts to a DOS attack on other users of
> the link.

I have been doing this along time too, and this only applies if
the back haul technology is asymmetrical. In many cases you are
right, because asymmetrical technology is normally leveraged to
provide more available BW for DL since that is where the largest
percentage of average users require it, however most servers
have the opposite requirements. I can not remember when we have
ever had a back bone connection that was not symmetrical, but we
have had implementations where we used asymmetrical technology
to provide back haul for remote wireless or dialup services.