Re: After installing FC5, no way to boot in FC4

On 3/23/06, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have installed FC5 on a free partition, but having FC4 installed on
> a different partition. Now, I cannot boot in FC4 anymore. How can it
> be fixed?

Should be fixable. Try the following, I dont remember the details exactly:

1. boot into FC5
2. mount the FC4 partition that you use for booting
3. ** open boot/grub/grub.conf (on FC4) and COPY the 4 lines of the
version of FC4 that you were booting (title, root, kernel, initrd) -->
into /boot/grub/grub.conf (on FC5)

4. reboot and you should the boot option for FC4 on the FC5 grub screen

These steps may be more complicated depending on your partition
scheme, lvm, etc.

Please make backups of any files you modify and be careful as you
don't want to be locked out of FC5 also.

-Mauriat