Re: FC5: Dual head - second screen not working in X

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:58:45 -0500
"Clyde E. Kunkel" <clydekunkel7734@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/21/06, Chris Ruprecht <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > Hi all,
>  > >
>  > > I had the dual head stuff working great in FC4 on my ThinkPad.
> After the
>  > > FC5 upgrade last night, the second screen no longer gets a
>  > > signal
> when X
>  > > starts.
>  > >
>  > > I tried to edit the xorg.conf file to no avail - the second
>  > > screen
> stays
>  > > dark. I ran the display configuration to span the desktop over
>  > > two screens and it seems to place new windows on the second
>  > > screen, but the screen still stays dark.
>  > >
>  > > I tried to find any info on this but came up empty.
>  > >
>  > > Any help is appreciated.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks,
>  > > Chris
>
>  > what chipset are you using?  I haven't been able to have a dual
>  > display at all...
>
> Problems with all linux distros with radeon dual head with xorg
> 6.9/7.0. Not sure of other gfx boards.  Advice on xorg list is to try
> nightly DRI and radeon binary snapshots. See, for example:
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download#head-55420c59a1c2e9a70f07a6fa02f0d228ffb87b76

I have two CRTs working in Xinerama setup but not as 2 separate heads
with the default radeon driver.  Does any one know what the xorg.conf
should look like with the default radeon driver?

The above link requires additional work due to the wonderful file
layout changes in fedora.  They did this to KDE and now X11.  Does
anyone know of an xorg project for fedora which either undoes the
wonderful changes or add build changes for fedora file layout?  Yet
another unneeded project!  Yes, I know I can recompile and install x11
as shipped but then there are the rpm dependencies.