Re: Dell Latitude Laptop "i" button

On 3/22/06, Doncho Gunchev <gunchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/22/06, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just installed FC5 on my old Dell Latitude C600 and so far so good. The
> LCD panel wasn't detected specifically but it picked a sane default and was
> easy to switch.
>
> The other thing that wasn't detected was the little "i" button beside the
> power button. I thought that I would be able to map it to whatever I wanted
> with the Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts but it doesn't register there
> when I attempt to assign it. Looking at dmesg after pressing it gives the
> following message:
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x81 on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e001 <keycode>' to make it known.
>
> Which is clear enough on how to set the keycode ... it just isn't clear on
> what is a safe value to set it to. Can anyone offer me some guidance on a
> good value to pick for <keycode> that won't muck up any other key?

Look at:
  http://www.fwconsult.com/laptop-install.html (the best one, N/A for
me any more, google's cache + links in console worked)
  http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/~jhe/doc/linux-hp-zx5030EA.html
   http://folk.ntnu.no/gronslet/blog/linux-on-a-dell-x1-aka-samsung-q30
  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=125333
and ask google :)

Thanks for the list of URLs:
I did do some Googling beforehand but didn't get a sense of whether there is some coherent list of keycodes or not. It seems arbitrary above 112, some people have trouble going above 127 and some guy that picked 122 for everything said that setkeycodes will just pick whatever code is free if 122 is already used. So I will pick 122 :]

I will bugzilla the non-automatic detection of this key.

/Mike