Re: bittorrent slow

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:43:08 -0500
Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure that any of this is relevant.

Oh it's surely relevant for anyone so configured.  Of course
configuring everything correctly doesn't guarantee lightning speeds.

> I've been watching the Peer List off and on. Every now and again, some
> seed will join the torrent and offer uploads at speeds in excess of 150
> KB/s. When those seeds abruptly disconnect from the torrent, my d/l rate
> goes down to 20 KB/s.

Yeah, speed will depend on the health and overall speed of the swarm.
Sounds like you're getting speeds that exceed what you'd get from many
mirrors though.

> And right now--this instant, 2:40 p.m. EST (that's 19:40 UTC)--someone
> has joined the torrent and is uploading to me at faster than 200 KB/s.
> And that's just /one/ seed. (Well, maybe it's because I published a new
> regulation to my Linksys Wireless Router WRT-54G, telling it to allow
> "bittorrent" access to ports 6881 through 6889 to a machine having a
> static IP address. True? Hard to say.)

Yes, you need to configure your router properly or you'll get abysmal
speeds.

Sean