Re: How to setup sendmail to send mail out from Fedora Core ??

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 14:53, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> > I also do simple debugging work to directly connect to
> > these companies' mail servers, mainly "telnet
> > mailservers.othercompany.com 25" commands,but they
> > always timeout. "nmap -p 25
> > mailservers.othercompany.com " commands say that the
> > TCP 25 ports are filtered.
> >
> > Any suggestions for me to send out emails?
> >
> Chances are, your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25 connections. You
> what a couple of choices here. One is to convince your ISP to open
> up outgoing port 25 connections for you. The other is to configure
> Sendmail to use your ISP's mail server as its relay host. You will
> probably have more luck setting up the relay host.
>
> Setting up a relay host may be as simple as editing the Sendmail
> config file to add the relay host, or a bit more complicated if
> your ISP requires authentication in order to send mail through it.
>
> If you do not have experience with configuring Sendmail, you may
> want to consider using Postfix instead. Most newbies find it easyer
> to configure...

The ISP should have provided the information about the mail
server to use as a relay.  Add it in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc like:
define(`SMART_HOST',`my_isp_relay.com')
and restart sendmail.  I doubt if postfix makes it a great
deal easier than that...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx