Re: Help Please Can I reinsall FC 2 without losing my data

I'm not sure,and in fact i have never use the rescue mode.
And, did you login as root?
A normal user could not access the /usr/local directory in the mode, i guess.

M.K wrote:

My data are in  usr/local directory
when I  am i shell and use
cd usr  and ls results
bin      lib       sbin  share   X11R6
int the list does not show local directory.Because I am in rescue mode does not show local directory
isn't it?

On 3/18/06, *Yu Shilin* <lunziyu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:lunziyu@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Maybe you can mount a USB-disk, then copy the data into it.

    <mailto:lunziyu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:lunziyu@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:lunziyu@xxxxxxxxx>>>
    > wrote:
    >
    >     Bakup the data is the first choice, i think.
    >
    >     Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >     >Hi,
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >>I reboot the computer And used FC2's First CD with Linux
    rescue
    >     mode I
    >     >>did not get any errors . after continuing many steps
    >     >>the message I got  " Your system is mounted under the
    /mnt/sysimage
    >     >>directory"
    >     >>and the shell prompt came.  sh-2.05b#
    >     >>The result of  "ls" command:
    >     >>bin             etc           linuxra             mnt
    >     >>oldtmp            sbin                 sys                usr
    >     >>dev              lib             lost+fund            modules
    >     >>proc        selinux         temp             var
    >     >>
    >     >>
    >     >
    >     >You can get to your old system by issuing
    >     >
    >     >chroot /mnt/sysimage
    >     >
    >     >and from there, you should be able to fix the problem -
    assuming you
    >     >know what the problem is in the first place!
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >>My question is if I reinstall FC2 without  any
    modification on dsk
    >     >>partitions,  is  it possible to loose my data
    >     >>"database and programs"  that I have
    under  usr/local/           ?