Re: SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:48 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

I don't think I installed NETBEUI or other protocol. I believe
I only installed TCP/IP.

	Installed it where?  On the MS-DOS machine?

Yes, on the MSDOS machine. Sorry to be ambiguous like that.

	It's possible that the msclient program and protocol stack predates RFC
1001/1002 Netbios over tcp/ip and will only talk NetBUI.  At which time
you are SOL.  It would be perfectly capable of talking with WfWg, since

Well, I'm getting *denied* now, and seeing an attempt to log in, so
I don't think that was the problem. Probably it was the UDP hole
I needed to poke.

[snip]

	On your Linux system, run tcpdump and then try that net use command.
You should see some 137/udp traffic with the IP address of the client
that tcpdump will identify as name queries for the name of the server.

See my other message about NET VIEW \\PRESARIO and how SMB rejected
the user name, seemingly due to password failure.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.