Re: Delist this person: From: petsupermarket

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 11:56 +1100, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 13:20 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > this happens to be just one of the very many lists on redhat.com and I
> > don't see the list admins asking for suggestions on how to handle this.
>
> Neither do I, but there has been the contention that nothing could be
> done. David and I beg to differ. We think putting posters' email
> addresses into post headers is a mis-feature that turns out to be a
> weakness.
>
> > So without offering to write the program necessary for redhat as a
> > supplement to their list management software, making suggestions about
> > what 'they' should do is  strictly engaging in a self-indulgent
> > activity.
>
> Sticking ones head in the sand is a kind of self-indulgence, too.
>
> What we are proposing is avoiding to put list members' real email
> addresses into the "From:" headers of list email. Obviously those real
> addresses are essential for submitting and receiving posts, hence
> submitting or subscribing under a fake address isn't an option.
>
> As for "a program" to do this: seeing that list email is sent by an
> outbound MTA running postfix, how about this in sender_canonical.regexp:
>
>         # Don't munge the list address:
>         /^(.*)@(redhat\.com)/	${1}@${2}
>         # Munge everything else:
>         /^(.*)@(.*)/		${1}@${2}.invalid
>
> Season to taste.
>
> The first line doesn't take into account that RH staff can be list
> subscribers as well, they would just miss out on that feature. This
> assumes that the outbound MTA is used for list email as well as non-list
> email. If it's only used for list email the problem doesn't exist.
>
> The kind of munging proposed above would also cater for private replies
> with very little additional effort for those who insist on it.
>
> > Unless of course, you create a bugzilla entry in the mailman package as
> > an RFE  ;-)  My thinking is that unless you are running lists yourself
> > and experiencing this problem, it's not too likely to get much traction.
>
> If people agree that putting list members' real email addresses into
> posts is a mis-feature, it just might.
----
in far less time that it took to write the above, you could have
searched the archives for Warren Togami's comments on this exact
subject, but you were so hell bent on talking about what **they** should
do that you see nothing else but your own opinions and your own
solutions.

The list owners are aware of the issue (Warren Togami is the list
owner). There is a wiki page that has been created to inform the members
of this list on why it is happening and what you can do to stop it.

You can keep harping on this if you wish. It is simply pissing into the
wind. Indulge yourself all you wish.

Craig