Re: RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 08:49, Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 08:21 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
<snip>
I am hoping for comments, etc. Thank you in advance.
Have you monitored the temperature of the system at all times?  Heat can
play a major roll in causing drives and other hardware to fail long
before it should.  Good air flow around the system/drives is critical.

I have not. Any recommended tools , methods ? Thank you.
Install hddtemp, then have the hddtemp service start on startup (system-config-services, or appropriate tools). With the service starting, drive temperatures can be accessed through the command "telnet localhost 7634" or from remote machines (see man hddtemp). Or just use the "hddtemp /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/hda /dev/hdb" command, with the appropriate device names. You can also use gkrellm and the gkrellm-hddtemp plugin with the hddtemp service running to have a constant temperature display for all drives that hddtemp can recognize (it didn't work for any of my drives until a recent update, now I don't have any that it can't read).
-Dan