Re: Apache user authentication

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:44:42PM +0000, Dan Track wrote:
> I've setup user authentication in apache. I have the usernames in an
> authfile. The problem I have is that the usernames are case sensitive,
> how can I make the user authentication case-insensitive?

I can't think of any simple way of doing it, but it should be possible
with a bit of work.

What you'll have to do is to make sure that your entire htpasswd file
has lowercase usernames, and then as requests come in, convert all the
usernames to lowercase on the fly (they are in the browser's Credentials
HTTP header).

I've had a quick look at the docs, but I don't think Apache's
mod_rewrite can do this; you may need to use a proxy in front of the
webserver, or write an Apache module to do it.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Building Java RPMS for Redhat Enterprise Linux and Fedora: