Re: International Chars cause backup problems - FYI

On 2006.3.14, at 02:24 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

On Monday 13 March 2006 15:01, Anne Wilson wrote:
I have a number of files on my server that have international characters in their names. My backups are constantly failing, with errors like this:

Incorrectly encoded string (Soy Loco por Ti, América) encountered.
Possibly creating an invalid Joliet extension. Aborting.

I could continue trying to find every instance of these characters, but
it's very inefficient.  It seems to me that I have only ever used the
character sets utf8, 8859-1 and 8859-15, yet setting kde to use any of them results in titles with spaces instead of the international characters. I presume that only file labels are causing problem - there will be strings
in text documents as well.

I've installed convmv, which is supposed to deal with converting character sets, but it seems to me that the biggest problem is knowing which files
need conversion.  I don't particularly want it to go through the whole
drive converting everything unnecessarily.

Any ideas how I can ascertain which character sets were used in naming
these files, and how to list all files using that encoding? Or any other
way of tackling the problem?

I didn't find any way to list the affected files, so I used convmv against the folders most likely to hold affected files. Backup completed and verified, so it had nothing to do with k3b or hardware problems - just character sets.
FWIW, I told it to convert to utf8.

Other than not using Joliet (the most correct answer IIUC) that's about what you should do, But, just to check, you do make the conversion _before_ the file gets copied, right?