Re: International Chars cause backup problems - FYI

On Monday 13 March 2006 15:01, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have a number of files on my server that have international characters in
> their names.  My backups are constantly failing, with errors like this:
>
> Incorrectly encoded string (Soy Loco por Ti, América) encountered.
> Possibly creating an invalid Joliet extension. Aborting.
>
> I could continue trying to find every instance of these characters, but
> it's very inefficient.  It seems to me that I have only ever used the
> character sets utf8, 8859-1 and 8859-15, yet setting kde to use any of them
> results in titles with spaces instead of the international characters.  I
> presume that only file labels are causing problem - there will be strings
> in text documents as well.
>
> I've installed convmv, which is supposed to deal with converting character
> sets, but it seems to me that the biggest problem is knowing which files
> need conversion.  I don't particularly want it to go through the whole
> drive converting everything unnecessarily.
>
> Any ideas how I can ascertain which character sets were used in naming
> these files, and how to list all files using that encoding?  Or any other
> way of tackling the problem?

I didn't find any way to list the affected files, so I used convmv against the
folders most likely to hold affected files.  Backup completed and verified,
so it had nothing to do with k3b or hardware problems - just character sets.
FWIW, I told it to convert to utf8.

Anne