Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade options

Craig White wrote:
> yes, if you back up /home, you can restore it - watch the user id's
> though...the first boot on a fresh install has you create a user Not
> root and that will be user 500 and they are numbered in order from
> creation (501, 502, etc.) and that uid is what is actually used for
> ownership of files...as in /home/craig is owned by user craig (500)
> group dom_users (501)

Or you could just backup /etc/passwd* /etc/group* /etc/shadow* and
/etc/gshadow*, and restore the "real" user entries (the ones you added
that correspond to real people: they will be towards the end) to the
appropriate files.

You could just restore those files, but if the new install has added any
system users they won't be in the old files.

Admittedly, if you're not happy playing with these files, the procedure
will be uncomfortable. But it is still the quickest and easiest way
(*possibly* short of setting up NIS, NIS+ or LDAP...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Now I've got the bead on you with MY disintegrating
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | gun.  And when it disintegrates, it disintegrates.