Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade options

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:40 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 20:11 -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
[snip]
> ----
> if /home is on a separate partition, there is no need to deal with any
> of that....just leave the /home partition alone with the 'upgrade'. You
> should note though that things have been changing in the attributes of
> the filesystems such as SELinux and ext3 and extended attributes which
> an 'upgrade' may leave less than optimal while a completely clean
> install obviously has no obstacles creating a house in order.

When I installed FC4, I tried to partition several file systems but
failed.  The artitioner didn't let me do it so I let it do what it
wanted...  I have now one LVM.  So... you are saying that if I
backup /home, do a fresh install and restore the /home backup I should
be OK? I'll lose those in /etc (e.g., php.ini) and also my httpd.conf.
How about my ADSL config?
I think I'll buy another disk (although my current 250GB should have
been enough for the next few years for a dual-boot) provided that the
installer supports a /dev/sdb (saw some notes that there are problems
there).

Albert

P.S.  Why are things always moved around?  I am going crazy enough
between my home FC4, my production server SUSE 9 end test server SUSE
10...