Tough problems when compiling

Hello, list.

I'm facing several problems when compiling applications, that generate
very difficult to trace quirks and inconveniences.

My best guess at what's happening is that, for some reason, I'm getting
programs compiled at a mix of 32 and 64 bits, and the resulting
executable generally ends up sigfaulting.

Just for the record, I'm running FC4 with kernel 2.6.15.1-1833-x86-64.
The CPU is an Athlon64 3000+.

So, the big question is: Is there a tool to check, or do I have any way
to find, if I have a problem with the installed libraries (both runtime
and devel) so this problem could be happening? Is this problem possible
at all? I find it very odd, and I'm almost lost because I cannot find
why it could be happening.

One curious thing that makes me think that this could be the problem is
that any time I get source packages to compile, I have to do an
autoreconf prior to ./configure, because if I don't do that the
resulting libtool points to libraries on /lib and /usr/lib instead
of /lib64 and /usr/lib64. Even when I run autoreconf, sometimes the
libtool resulting from ./configure still points to /lib and /usr/lib. Of
course, when that happens, make fails because it cannot find the correct
libraries (usually with wrong format messages).

Other thing that happens to me when compiling is that, sometimes,
depending on what am I compiling, make cannot find stddef.h and
stdarg.h. If I locate for them, they are found at /usr/include/linux and
on /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.0.2/include for the first and
on /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.0.2/include for the last one.

Shouldn't they get found?

Any help or ideas will be appreciated since I'm practically unable to
compile anything.

Thanks in advance,

--
Mariano López Reta <mlreta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>