Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade options -- and GUIs

Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 11:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
I balked yesterday when the guy asked...how do I logout?  ;-)

I just couldn't understand that, unless there's some visual problems
involved.  There's only three menus (by default) with Gnome, and "Log
out" is the last item on the last menu, it's not even on a sub-menu that
you'd have to go hunting for.  It's not hard to find, at all.

It makes you wonder whether some people put any effort into anything, at
all; or have any common sense...

For a time there was not shutdown option provided on the system menu in FC5 test. It was tried to assume that if a computer could hibernate or suspend, the suspend choice would show and the shutdown choice would not be available in the menu. It is not about user common sense as much as it is about how the menu structures are setup. Another item is when the designer assumes what the end use wants to do.

Also with Gnome at least, the menus are always changing. For instance, someone could not find the terminal which used to be under application > System Tools. A common, predictable location you say! Well, it is now under Applications > Accessories for FC5.

no more Desktop menu, it is now System also.

Jim