Re: Automounting external USB so as not required by root

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 13:32 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> > I have an external USB drive. For some reason, it is not accessible to
> > anyone using the machine unless root mounts it first. Default
> > configuration of my system doesn't allow apparently anyone else to mount
> > the drive but root. How do I change this so that device is mounted
> > automatically and is accessible to anyone using the system by default?
> >
> > Ferindo
> >

> Here's my entry in /etc/fstab (for FC2) which works the way
> you described (edited to fit the line).
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto    noauto,user,exec 0 0
>
> You probably want to use something other than /mnt/usb as your
> mount point. I have mine set not to auto mount, so you probably
> want to remove the "noauto". To find out about the switches
> available in that line, check "man mount".
----
of course, userland space for mounting is entirely different on FC-2
than FC-4 so this advice might not be the best advice.

Removable media, such as USB drives should automatically mount in /media
and the methodology, rules and permissions are derived from udev.

/etc/fstab is no longer the place to hack for removable storage -
especially for making it available to individual users for unmounting,
etc.

Would the original poster want to remove all manual edits of fstab (if
he made them) and provide relevant information from the bottom of
'dmesg' and /var/log/messages which will contain relevant information
about the device he inserted.

Also, this link may be helpful
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Craig