Re: email/groupware solution ?

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 15:54 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 12:17, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm setting up a FC server for my small starting company. It's a company of
> > only 3 people and I'm looking for a good email/groupware solution.
> >
> > Besides email I'd like to have calender functionality and a good way to
> > manage our client addresses.
> > I don't need much fancy stuff, but rather focus on functionality and the
> > ability to have client software running on both Linux and windows.
> >
> > I have found some solutions like evolution and open-Xchange.
> >
> > Are there any more solutions ?
> >
> > I wonder if any people on this list have experience with one of these
> > solutions and can give me some advice regarding a suitable solution or just
> > tips on what I should be paying attention to.
> >
> Kde-pim has kolab to handle groupware needs, but I've no experience of it.
> There's a kde-pim mailing list if you need to ask any questions about its
> suitability.
----
FWIW, I put up a basic overview of 'Exchange Server alternatives' on the
new samba wiki...

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Exchange_Server_Alternatives

Which may or may not be what you are talking about when you say
groupware. Exchange server pretty much revolves around 'fat client'
Outlook (or in some circles aka "Lookout")

If you have your hands tied because boss says...MUST work with Outlook,
this is the kind of info you need and the only groupware software that I
know of that works with both Outlook and Evolution as 'fat clients' is
Novell Groupwise.

If people can detach themselves from the 'fat client' Outlook, then a
world of possibilities opens up to them - and I definitely recommend
Horde/IMP

Craig