Re: Substitute vncviewer

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:10:42PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 12:26 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > The program vncviewer will not connect to the Apple Remote Server of
> > > OS X which is their built in VNC server. Does anyone have a suggestion
> > > for a substitute vnc viewer that might work?
> >
> > Without knowing what the problem/incompatibility is, it's hard to speculate.
> >
> > -- Rex
> >

> Here's one wild a** guess, find out what port vncserver uses on the
> Apple system.  Normally vnc uses ports from 5900 up.  Typically in
> vncviewer you need to specify the port by appending :1 or similar number
> to the IP address (or name) where :1 would use port 5901, :0 would be
> port 5900, :2 would be port 5902, etc.
>
> The other possible problem is that one or the other system has a
> firewall blocking vnc.
>
> Additional info on the error being seen and details on how you are
> invoking vncviewer would help diagnose the problem.
Ok invoking vncviewer pandora01 returns:

VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Aug  4 2005 06:43:41
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Fri Mar 10 21:35:02 2006
 CConn:       connected to host pandora01 port 5900
 CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.889
 CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.8

passwd . Then the following lines appear.
Fri Mar 10 21:35:07 2006
 TXImage:     Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 16.
 CConn:       Using pixel format depth 6 (8bpp) rgb222
 CConn:       Using ZRLE encoding

a screen image opens filling with random colors. The screen image
disappears and the following lines are printed on the console screen.
At the same time a window opens with the error message : unknown
message type. I click ok and the application quits.
Fri Mar 10 21:35:27 2006
 CConn:       Throughput 6263 kbit/s - changing to hextile encoding
 CConn:       Throughput 6263 kbit/s - changing to full colour
 CConn:       Using pixel format depth 16 (16bpp) little-endian rgb565
 CConn:       Using hextile encoding
unknown message type 255

unknown message.

Any ideas about what is wrong? No error messages appear in the
messages file.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University