Re: Substitute vncviewer

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:10:42PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 12:26 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > The program vncviewer will not connect to the Apple Remote Server of
> > > OS X which is their built in VNC server. Does anyone have a suggestion
> > > for a substitute vnc viewer that might work?
> >
> > Without knowing what the problem/incompatibility is, it's hard to speculate.
> >
> > -- Rex
> >

> Here's one wild a** guess, find out what port vncserver uses on the
> Apple system.  Normally vnc uses ports from 5900 up.  Typically in
> vncviewer you need to specify the port by appending :1 or similar number
> to the IP address (or name) where :1 would use port 5901, :0 would be
> port 5900, :2 would be port 5902, etc.
>
> The other possible problem is that one or the other system has a
> firewall blocking vnc.
>
> Additional info on the error being seen and details on how you are
> invoking vncviewer would help diagnose the problem.

Thsi is a good suggestion and I will have to ofllow though on
that. But I would accept any known other vnclient name in the
meantime. There is a OS X vnc client called Chicken of VNC that
does work.

But I will collect the error information and post it.

If Karl, instead of writing a lot about Capital, had made a lot of Capital,
it would have been much better.
		-- Karl Marx's Mother
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science