Re: FC4 --> FC5: yum update? (was: release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Colin Brace wrote:
[snip amazlingly long discussion]

This discussion is all well and good, but what I would really like to
know is whether it is possible and advisable to do the upgrade next
week with yum. I *really* don't feel like installing dozens of
non-core packages all over again.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam

The fedora-extras programs seemed to track FC5 test and updates were common during the test phase. You might have some chance to upgrade via yum to FC5 if the update trail from FC4 to FC5 considered and fixed problems with system component locations being changed and the like.

However, on a non-networked computer where the installer crashed with a few non-core packages on that is not connected to the network, yum failed during its runs. I removed a few packages that are not part of core which were installed on the non-Internet bound computer and got further but only slightly.

I submitted a bug report on the failure I encountered and feedback suggests that the installer has toughened up a bit to handle more situations. I plan to go the installer route from discs when released. (non-networked computer)

For my computer up to development, I plan on downloading and installing the Fedora release package and going the progressive installation path.

Another computer that is rolling development is still kicking. I had to yum erase hotplug and allow dependent packages from the system and reinstall the removed packages. The sane packages and a handful of packages needed to be reinstalled. The rolling rawhide installation is fairly old and at least a few Fedora versions back. The system is intact and functional. This stated, you should have no major problems upgrading via yum.

It all depends upon how clean of an installation you desire and how many repositories you use that are or are not tracking FC5 development.

Jim

--
To err is human; to forgive is simply not our policy.
		-- MIT Assasination Club