Re: Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - SUCCESS!

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 19:49, Bruce Bales wrote:
>> I kinda hate to jump in here where I haven't been in the loop before, but
>> unless scsi has changed in the last few years, as I remember, most scsi
>> devices have two connectors.  Either can be input and the other then is
>> output.  The scsi bus is serial - up to seven devices in a row.  The last
>> device has a terminator plug on it which electrically terminates the data
>> lines with resistors.  If there is only one device attached, it should have
>> a terminator.  The other end of the bus is terminated on the scsi card.
>>
>> Many devices will work (although often imperfectly) without proper
>> termination.
>>
>> If this has been covered before please excuse me.
>> bruce
>>
> That's as I remember the theory, Bruce.  The scanner has no marking to
> differentiate the ports, and when I bought it I was told that it would work
> either way, but it never did.  When I first set this up yesterday I forgot
> that.
>
> Anne

It depends on how they handle the connections inside the scanner.
Most of the external SCSI enclosures and scanners I have used have
used just connect both connectors to the device. You do end up with
a short length of cable after the termination if you use termination
on the drive. (I tend to use a terminator on one connector on the
last device.) One other thing you have to be careful about when
using SCSI scanners is that some of them are not fully compliant.
They may not work with some SCSI cards, and cause problems if there
are other SCSI devices on the SCSI bus. If the scanner comes with
its own SCSI card, and the driver for both are on the same CD, be
careful of using another card or other SCSI devices on the same
controller.

Mikkel