Re: OT: Humor

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 22:08, Terry Polzin wrote:
>On Tuesday March 7 2006 22:04, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 21:55 -0500, Terry Polzin wrote:
>>  : - Trim'n some cruft...
>>  :

>> > On to the main frame stuff,
>> > DOS 27 / Socrates
>> > DOS/VS(E) 33,34
>> > CICS 1.5,1.6
>> > VTAM
>> > ICCF
>> > VOLLIE
>> > VSAM
>>
>>  Ah!  Forgot about da Mainframe stuff...
>
>I could go on about the Tab equipment,  and wiring boards... ;-)
>
>>  Scope 3 (Control Data Systems Operating System, Circa CDC 6500 -
>> Hollerith based character sets, no less).
>>
>>  Mike

Or, how about wire wrapping all the support boards around an 1802 based
Super Elf, complete with the whole cloth simple video I needed to make
a machine that installed an academy leader and automation trigger tones
on a tv commercial back when Sony 2800's and 2850's were new?  Saving
us a generation loss between production and air.  1977-78, still in use
in 94 when I last talked to the Chief there.  All in about $1190 bytes
of battery backed ram for the program and data, maybe another 100 bytes
for stack.  No assembler, looked it all up in the 1802 programmers
manual & entered with a hex monitor the board came with.

Or doing the same thing with a pair of z-80 boards, building a pretty
complete transmitter automatic remote control system a couple of years
later when the z-80 was new & had a buglist as long as your arm in 4
point type?  Again, no assembler & a hex monitor only.

Or building a super duper, many times friendlier & 4x faster than
Grasses EDISK for the 300 series switchers (it sold for $20k) out of a
trs-80 color computer 2 running os9 level 1 V2, used from 1989 to 2002
when the last Grass 300 was dumped in the garage at WDTV where I was
Chief from 10/1984-07/2002.

Even before small computers, my fingerprints were in the cameras that
were on the Trieste when it made its only dive into the mohole back in
the 60's.  I helped build them a few months before that dive.

That, and $0.65 or so will get you a cup of java around here, and thats
about what its worth, but I just had to play "can you top this" with
all the big dogs on this list.  Now of course I'm just another old fart
with a story to tell. :)

Do carry on, I rather enjoy it when the real artists come out and
play. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: