Re: Using yum with fedora 3

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 16:41, Dan wrote:
> Eric Brunson wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > Dude, don't use "Reply" to start a new thread.
> > Now your unrelated question is threaded to mine via headers like these:

> > And I'm less likely to get a useful response now.
> >
> > Bruce Bales wrote:
> >> I recently installed fedora core 3 and have had some difficulties
> >> with using yum.  Finding many different suggestions on the internet
> >> as to which repositories to use is confusing.
> >>
> >> When I do a sudo yum update, I get a lot of missing dependencies
> >> (below).  And yum itself won't install them.  Many of these same
> >> dependencies prevent me from installing certain programs.
> >>
> >> Where do I find the correct repositories for Fedora core 3?
> >> bruce
> >>

> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libjasper-1.701.so.1 is needed by package
> >> kdelibs
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libslp.so.1 is needed by package kdenetwork
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libxmms.so.1 is needed by package kdeutils
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libfribidi.so.0 is needed by package
> >> kdegraphics
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libjasper-1.701.so.1 is needed by package
> >> ImageMagick
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: gnupg2 >= 1.9.6 is needed by package gpgme
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libfltk_gl.so.1.1 is needed by package
> >> OpenEXR
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libpth.so.20 is needed by package gpgme
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libfltk.so.1.1 is needed by package OpenEXR
>
> Yes, send new threads directly to fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx . And as for
> the question, there's different opinions on the matter, but generally
> you will want to use the base (fedora.repo), updates-released
> (fedora-updates.repo), extras (fedora-extras.repo) and livna
> (livna.repo) repositories; these are all continually kept compatible
> with one another, and only for a few obscure programs you might have to
> go to rpmforge repositories or others. You can look at
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/samples/yum.conf and take the Fedora Extras
> and Livna.org sections and put them in the appropriate .repo files (in
> /etc/yum.repos.d/), and JPackage (lots of java packages, also kept
> compatible with extras) also if you like. Leave the stock yum.conf though.
> -Dan

Thanks, Dan.  I took a few files out of /etc/yum.repos.d and added
fedora-extras.repo   After that, yum update seemed to behave.  It ended with
a note which I don't understand.  I had been trying to use apt a few weeks
ago until I was told that apt was no longer supported for core 3.

Can I ignore the note below or how do I comply with it?
bruce

Running Transaction
NOTE: Default configuration changed!
If you have made any changes to the configuration locally
Merge your local customizations from /etc/apt/apt.conf.rpmsave
to /etc/apt/apt.conf