Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 14:42 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 14:19, Tony Heaton wrote:
>
> > many packages that I use everyday aren't gui and aren't in any menu on
> > any desktop.  Yum info describes all packages, not just gui ones.
>
> But those are packages, not programs. As an example, a lot of
> people might find the 'convert' program useful if they read
> it's man page.  The output of 'yum search convert' is more than
> anyone wants to see and not really useful.  How are you supposed
> to guess the 'yum info ImageMagick' invocation that you'd need
> if you don't have the convert man page on line.

You don't have to know the package name to use yum info. As I stated in
an email yesterday, I do 'yum info > packageinfo'. Then I actually read
the descriptions of the programs in the packageinfo file this command
creates.  Having a computer and wanting to discover new packages and
programs to make your life better/easier means you might have to do a
little research and reading.  How did you find out about the convert
program?  I don't imagine that your fingers just magically typed man
convert one day.  You had to find the program somehow.  There are plenty
of ways to find out about new and exciting methods of doing things.
Having a program installed doesn't make discovering it any easier.  You
still have to find the program first by searching menus, browsing
directories.  You can read the yum info just as easy. If your looking
for an specific type of program, a grep of the yum info file can usually
get you started on which descriptions to read first.

This kind of got off track a bit.  I think if people want everything
installed they should be able to install everything possible.  I don't
think it is necessary to have an everything button to accomplish though.
There are many ways to accomplish getting almost everything installed. I
say almost everything, because I'm sure you can't have every piece of
software in the distribution installed without causing some grief to
other pieces.  I would bet if you came up with a way to have any almost
everything button that would not break things you could get it accepted.
I may be naive in that respect.  I've never tried to get anything
accepted in Fedora.  If developers are removing the everything button on
a whim without any technical reason for its removal, then that is just
wrong.

--
Tony Heaton
CCN-9