Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 14:54 -0800, David Boles wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> No I do not really have a problem with this "everything install" button. My
> >> problem is with this topic. It has been discussed to death and the reasoning
> >> has been explained several times. The man told you why "everything install"
> >> was removed and he also told you that it was not going to be put back into the
> >> release.
> >>
> >> So tell me. Who has "a problem with people not doing things your way"? You or me?
> >
> > I am also tired with this topic. As you clearly stated we will do this
> > "his" way. He has explained why they did it and it makes not much
> > sense. But he and his company have the power and they want to hit us
> > over the head with it. I agree that is the way it will be.

> > Aaron Konstam
> > Computer Science
> > Trinity University
> > telephone: (210)-999-7484
> >
> True. It is their distribution and they can do it anyway that they want to do it.
>
> Can you name another distribution that has an 'install everything' option? I
> can not think of one.

You can do an "Everything" install in SUSE 10 (probably earlier releases
too) if you know where to look - there's no obvious Everything button,
but if you select the Package Groups option and go to the bottom, select
zAll, then hit the Packages button on the top menu, click on All
Packages in this Group -> Install, you can do it. It comes up with a
zillion dependency errors (which you can override), but it is possible.

Probably breaks apache, sendmail and numerous other packages, and uses
up 27GB of disk space. Also takes about 5 hours to install - I did it on
a test box for the hell of it :-)

AndyW