Re: Faint hope : new printer drivers in FC5?

beartooth wrote:
Fool that I was, I bought a printer on someone's recommendation, without
thinking to check whether it worked with linux. It's a Lexmark X1185 --
which didn't then, and still doesn't afaict: linuxprinting finds no driver
for it.

So will there be any new printer drivers in FC5 that are not yet generally
available on linuxprinting? If so, is there a list I can check mine
against?

Fwiw, I've been running an XP machine, just for topo maps and GPS stuff;
but it's beginning to look like CrossoverOffice 5.0 (CXO) will be able to
handle at least the most important (to me) of the proprietary suites of
GPS/topo software that I have, Maptech and Garmin. But, I'm told on the
CXO list, neither wine nor CXO can handle any printer that linux can't
already run.

So, if I take to running a clean OS on what is now the XP machine, will
that mean I have one more bulky paperweight sitting around? Or is there
hope with FC5 once I update to that?

I always ask, who makes the driver for Windows? Is it Microsoft or Lexmark? Contact Lexmark for support.

I purchased a Lexmark and never again. It had Linux software available from Lexmark and I purchased it after reading the "windows reviews". The software was crap and the support was worse.

Since then I have found that Lexmark is more geared to getting their printers into the market and then making a killing on ink cartridges. I don't think I ever managed to get a cartridge to empty, just to quit working. This is the same for hundreds of otheres that I have read about on the net.

--
Robin Laing