Re: Ideal Server Hardware Choice

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:06 -0800, Timothy Alberts wrote:
> I'm researching purchasing 2 new servers for our network.  Ideally I
> want to be 100% compatible with FC Linux (obviously).  Our network is 50
> clients with 164K internet connection (slow).  We run:
>
> -Internet gateway via iptables/firewall
> -DHCP/DNS for local network
> -Sendmail averaging 3-4k messages/day with POP3 via dovecot
> -Apache web for intranet with perl/php/mysql.
> -MySQL database is large, but access is maybee 3-5 clients at any given
> time.
> -Ideally converting to Tomcat application server for intranet (replacing
> perl/php).
> -FTP (maybee SAMBA again someday)
> -OpenLDAP for unified login, company address book
> -Remote access may be added when we get the bandwidth to support it...
>
> I have been researching:
>
> IBM eServers x206 x226 anyone know if these are good systems for FC
> linux?
>
> Sun's X2100 systems.
>
> Dell 1800, looks fairly standard.
>
> So, do any of you Fedora Users/Network Admins have any recommendations
> for me?  Does Fedora have a list of their test farm servers so I can see
> what they use?  I remember seeing a note IBM donated some servers to
> Fedora recently.

What your looking for isn't all that exotic. Although due to the nature
of Fedora, its doubtful you find something that is certified for it.
Just stick to whatever has good support for RHEL. Odds are good that the
current release will work with FC.

Although, depending on how often you want to upgrade/rebuild your
system, getting a RHEL ES license may be worth your while.

Daniel