Re: Learning Bash Questions: the MV command

On 2/28/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 22:01 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > > find . -name "*.jpg" -exec mv --backup=numbered \
> > >         '{}' /home/dotancohen/big_directory \;

> > > find . -depth -mindepth 1 -type d \
> > >         -exec rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty '{}' \;
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > >

> > Thanks, Paul. Although "man mv" describes ---backup=numbered as doing
> > what I had described, in this case it overwrites! I just tried it with
> > the code that you provided (in case I was doing something syntaxly
> > wrong), however, it did overwrite!
> >
> > For some reason, instead of giving numbered backups, it overwrites. Is
> > this a bug?
>
> There's certainly something strange going on there, as it certainly
> worked for me when I tested it before posting.
>
> As useful way of trying to debug find commands is to put "echo " in
> front of the command you're trying to run, e.g.
>
> find . -name "*.jpg" -exec echo mv --backup=numbered \
>         '{}' /home/dotancohen/big_directory \;
>
> and that should list of commands that you could try one at a time to see
> what's going on.
>
> Paul.

Thank you Paul. I appreciate your time in writing and testing the
code. That is real dedication!

I will play with the echo command that you suggest. Some googleing led
me to beleive that I would be better off trying to learn perl than
bash, if moving and parsing files is what I expect to be doing mostly.
I'm no syadmin, just a home user.

Thank you.

Dotan Cohen