Re: GPS, CXO. amd topo maps

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:02:13PM -0500, Beartooth Duffer wrote:

> I have Garmin's MapSource Topo 3.0 and Maptech's Terrain Navigator 5.03
> both installed under CrossoverOffice 5.0.1 Pro, running on Fedora Core 4;
> I have been unable to install Topo.com 2.6.1, and had an intermediate
> result from trying Delorme TopoUSA 4.0 -- sometimes it *seems* to install,
> but won't open, or opens only to a plain tan screen ruled into parts,
> each labelled "No controls specified." Sometimes the install fails
> entirely. (The same also happens on TopoUSA 3.0 and on the same supplier's
> 3-D Topo Quads, btw & fwiw.)

You might want to check the list of known good apps for wine, at
winehq.org (I think). The last I looked, the most recent DeLorme app
wine supported was Street Atlas 8. I have that running under the
latest CXO, but have not tested for GPS connectivity. I did have a
working GPS with an older version of wine, though.

Unless you must have these programs, take a look at gpsdrive,
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpsdrive/.

As for the GPS receivers, see if gpsd will connect to them. Or
manually set up minicom and see if that works. Even if you are
indoors, you should see NMEA sentences.