Newbie Questions

> I am about as new as they come. I have downloaded
> Fedora and am about to install. I have a Windows 98
> machine and am not sure if I want to set up a dual
> boot or just put Fedora on this computer.

When setting up a dual boot computer (I haven't done it in a while though), I used to like to take the Windows Hard Drive out and (either) put it in the "slave" position on the first IDE ribbon (or) put it on the second IDE ribbon (either master or slave). Then I put the "new" drive in the "master" position on the first IDE ribbon (to install Linux on). I like to do this because... 1) you can install Fedora on the first (new) drive and use GRUB (linux boot loader) to boot both Linux and Windows 2) You don't have to resize partitions or do some procedure to "make room for Linux" and take the chance of loosing any data on the Windows drive. 3) If you run into problems or have a problem getting the dual boot working, you can just put the Windows drive back.

> I need some instructions on installation of Fedora
> from a hard drive.  The instruction with Fedora are
> too limited for me.  Can someone please direct me to
> a more detailed source.

I've installed (both) Fedora Core 3 and Fedora Core 4 from CD and I found the install process to be pretty simple and strait forward. You have the instructions on the left and the choices on the right.

The first thing you are confronted with in the install process is the choice of checking your CDs for errors. If (when the checking process is over) it keeps telling you that the CDs are bad, then reboot into the first CD again, and at the "boot:" prompt, type "linux mediacheck ide=nodma" (don't include the quotes). Press ENTER and do the checks again. If the disks are good, then this should solve the incorrect reporting of bad disks.

At some point, you will be asked what kind of install you would like to do. I would choose the (standard???) (don't remember what they call it) install. It's the first choice. It should give you all you need for a well rounded, very usable Desktop computer. The second choice is simular, but includes extra progams for a bit more advanced users that want to build programs and other things. I would just choose the first choice of "type of install" that is offered.

In the world of Linux, there are many different "window mangers" to choose from. Your "Desktop" can look like a Windows Desktop, A Mac Desktop or anything you can imagine in your mind. The "default" Fedora desktop is called "Gnome". I use one called "KDE", so I'm not sure how to do this with the Gnome window manager, but with KDE, you can go to a menu called "add/remove applications" and it's very easy to use. Maybe someone here can tell you the equivelant of "add/remove applications" in the Gnome Desktop. And at that point, you could even choose to install and use KDE if you like. If you do, then at the login screen, press "Sessions" and choose KDE. If you like it, I can tell you how to make that the one that starts by default when you log in.

There are command line install programs, but I hope someone can tell you an easy Gnome menu item that gives you a simple GUI since you'll be overwhelmed with so much info as it is.

Hope this helps,
Rocco