Re: Newbie Questions

Timothy Brooks wrote:
Thank you.

Let's say I copy Fedora to CDs and format the Windows computer I am using
(it's a spare for 'learning').  Is CD #1 bootable or do I go in through DOS
and install?

Is there a boot diskette (1.44) that I should have?

It is better if you do this on a machine *other* than
the one use for Net access, especially e-mail.

If you're unsure about all this, then I suggest you
try running for a while from a LiveCD. There is not
(AFAIK) a LiveCD for Fedora Core, but several are
available. I have used Knoppix, Kanotix, Puppy,
DSL and several others.

Step-by-step here is what you need to do...

0. Back up your machine as it is now.
1. Decide whether you want to retain the ability to
   boot Windows while running FC.
2. If the answer is "Yes, I want to dual-boot." then
   make room on that computer for FC. Make sure you
   can still boot Windows before continuing.
3. Download and burn all the FC4 discs to CDROMs.
   Be sure that when you are through you don't see
   a single file named SOME_FILE_NAME.ISO on there,
   but a whole bunch of files.
4. Boot your first CDROM. If your machine will not
   boot from the CDROM drive, then either you didn't
   make the CDROM properly, or you haven't enabled
   boot from CDROM drive in the BIOS, or your machine
   is too old to boot from CDROM or you have a hardware
   problem. If your machine is just too old, then I
   suggest using Smart Boot Manager, and boot from
   floppy. SBM will allow you then to boot from CDROM.
5. Go through the installation procedure.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.