Re: Newbie Questions

Timothy Brooks wrote:
Thank you.

Let's say I copy Fedora to CDs and format the Windows computer I am using
(it's a spare for 'learning').  Is CD #1 bootable or do I go in through DOS
and install?

Is there a boot diskette (1.44) that I should have?

The first disc will be bootable if the computer can boot from CDs.

Your first email said "installation of Fedora from a hard drive",
did you mean "to a hard drive", both are possible.  To a hard drive
from DVD or CDs is the most common way of installing Fedora.  From
a hard drive (usually to another hard drive on the same machine),
is possible with some distros (I can't remember if Fedora can do it).

There used to be 3 1/4 inch images for computers that couldn't boot
from CD, but I don't think that's possible anymore.  A more complex
method is available, someone else can probably give you a link if
you need to do this.

BTW, the most common format for replies on this email list is to put
them below the part of the text you're commenting on, and cut out
parts that aren't relevant.  The rational is that people joining in
the discussion will be more easily able to follow what's going on.

--
imalone