Re: During FC1 to FC4 upgrade, Do I need to upgrade Ext3 file systems?

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
>  I'm doing FC1 to FC4 upgrade these days and I find
> that the ext3 file system features of FC1 and FC4 are
> different.
>
> For FC4, there are three more ext3 file system
> features are on: they are ext_attr, resieze_inode, and
> dir_index.
>
> FC4:
>
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr
> resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery
> sparse_super large_file
>
> FC1:
> Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype
> needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
>
> So How do I add these 3 ext3 features to untouched
> data partitions like /home after my server is upgraded
> to FC4? Do I have to do it manually? or the upgrade
> will do it for me automatically? I'm afraid of losing
> precious data but still like to have cool new
> features.
>
>  Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

First suggestion: if your data is precious, do a backup. Make sure it's
good *before* you do the update.

To be honest, I'd do the upgrade then worry about the features. I'm
pretty sure the FC upgrade does them automatically, but it's been a
while since I checked.

Dir_index is indexed directory support: several years back, Dave Jones
wrote:

    EXT3.
    ~~~~~
    - The ext3 filesystem has gained indexed directory support, which
      offers considerable performance gains when used on filesystems
      with directories containing large numbers of files.
    - In order to use the htree feature, you need at least version
      1.32 of e2fsprogs.
    - Existing filesystems can be converted using the command

        tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hdXXX

See http://lwn.net/Articles/28765/ .

Resize_inode is only of use if the filesystem is in a logical volume
manager which allows a filesystem to be resized. One upgraded from FC1
won't be. But, as before, you can run
        tune2fs -O resize_inode /dev/hdXXX
to add it.

Ext_attr, extended attributes, are necessary for SELinux support and
access control lists. I wouldn't recommend turning SELinux off
permanently, but if the worst comes to the worst, you can turn it off
temporarily at the grub prompt, boot, add ext_attr, touch /.autorelabel,
and reboot. The system will relabel everything on reboot.

You can check the attributes on an ext3 filesystem with
tune2fs -l /dev/hdXX
But you probably knew that anyway.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "But alas, we don't need a car, so I have a bus
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | timetable and one day the buses will read it too."