Re: Hard drive cable question -

On Thursday 23 February 2006 21:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 23 February 2006 16:18, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>bobgoodwin wrote:
>>
>>[snip]

>>> Except it appears to me that it matters as far as terminating the
>>> line properly is concerned.  Ideally it would seem the termination
>>> should be at the far end where the master is connected to avoid the
>>> possibility of a mismatch at the end of the stub that would result
>>> if the slave is at the far end.  How much ringing might occur and
>>> the severity of it's effect is an unknown?  It would be interesting
>>> if I could get into the circuit and poke around with a scope probe
>>
>>Agreed.
>>
>>[snip]

>>> If the h/d manufacturer provided this explanation this thread would
>>> never have started.  I would have never asked any questions.  It
>>> appears
>>
>>Well, just how much of the interface should they document? Each pin?
>>Just the Cable Select pin?
>>
>>> that I probably have cable select which I will try here in a little
>>> while.  The drives can be jumpered for CS and I have 80 wire ribbon
>>> cables so it appears that should work if I understand everything
>>> I've read here?  It would be helpful if the user knew that he was
>>> dealing with a c/s cable, there is no mark apparently other than
>>> the fact that there are more wires than connector pins to tie them
>>> to?
>>
>>Color of the connectors. Usually non-CS cables use just one color
>>of connector, presumably because they can get better volume
>>prices that way. CS cables are supposed to use blue for the MB
>>connector, black for "master" and grey for "slave", IIRC.
>
>And someone else quoted the last two in reverse.  Can someone PLEASE
> go get one of these friggin cables and settle the argument?  Good
> color vision required of course :)

Ok I just took the place apart, and the only two cables I have that
MIGHT be CS cables came with an original promise 20267 raid card that I
was going to use at one time for a raid here.  Those two cables are
blue for the card end and its keyed too, grey for the (s/b slave) next,
and black for the end (s/b master) one.  But I gave that up when the
horror stories about the 20267 started surfaceing on lkml.  I don't
know if all its bugs have been coded around now or not.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: