Re: [OT] Cannot save BIOS settings

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:51:28 -0500
From: "James He" < icrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OT] Cannot save BIOS settings
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi, all!

This might be off-topic, but since we are running FC on this machine,
so maybe you can help.

I replaced a bad motherboard with a new one for one computer and the
computer started to be working again. The only problem now is that I
am not able to save the BIOS(Phoenix) setting on that computer, that
is to say, the default setting will always come back automatically.
This is not acceptable, for we need to boot the computer from network,
but the default booting sequence prefers to boot from hard disk, on
which we do have a bootable operating system.

The BIOS reset jumper is in its normal place, and I even changed the
battery on the motherboard to see how it goes -- the problem remained.

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,

James He

Hi James!

I would be doing the following:

0. Making sure I am using the proper procedure to save the settings as I leave the CMOS setup program.  Some have the ability to exit without saving permitting the use of the settings one time only.  I would make sure that I save and exit. I would also look at any CMOS security settings just in case.

1. Reading the MB manual with specific attention concerning how the CMOS is powered and controlled.  I often find these PDF on the web if they are not in hand.

2. Measuring the actual CMOS battery voltages - with a volt meter out of  box and with a simulated load if I could figure out with that was (if it holds with a 1K resistor my guess is that it is fine).  I would also look into measuring it as it feeds the CMOS on the MB (very carefully of course!!).

3. Taking some time to clean and look at very closely the battery holder and associated parts.

4. I would try removing or changing the CMOS jumper you mention and also take a good look it it's integrity and clean the posts as well and try another jumper.

5. If all this did not clear the problem, considering another MB.

Good Hunting!

Tod