Re: Hard drive cable question -

Wolfgang Gill wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:39:13 +1030, Tim wrote

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:12 +1100, Wolfgang Gill wrote:

Nope it doesn't matter. Drive selects are done with jumpers on the
drive. All IDE 40/80 pin cables are straight through, so the drive
itself govens whether it's master or slave. When I only have one
drive, I use the middle connector, and hide the other one out of the
way, to give me better casing air flow.

That is just so much misleading, not to mention outright wrong,
information.  Kindly stop leading people down the garden path.

Misleading?? That wasn't misleading at all!! And I'M NOT leading people up the
garden path. I've build literally 10,000 of machines (Probably more, lost

Hmm. Lessee, working 333 1/3 days per year, that's 3 years for 1000
days. So, you've been building one machine per day for the last 30
years. No, you've been building ten machines a day for the last 3 years,
not taking weekends off.

Hmm. Pretty busy lately?

count after the first 1000 or so). And only 1% have failed due to hardware
faults, and cabling wasn't one of them. It's NO use to explain things into
GREAT detail to people that have little understanding of the concepts as it
is, and confuse them even more. And as I understand it, the original poster
has solved it, so it not necessary to slag everyone that tries to help.

Well, ok, fine. Let's not get personal here. This is degenerating
into a Flammfest.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.