Re: FC4 --> FC5T3. Via nfs from dvd iso. Howto bootstrap install.

On 2/22/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
> > Basic question, folks.
> > Machines A and B, both FC4.
> > A is the one I want to upgrade to FC5.
> > B has the dvd iso image in /nfs and is exported. (checksum ok.)
>
> Setup either an ext3 (not from an LVM) or a vfat partition on Computer B
> which does not need to be mounted during the upgrade. Copy the DVD image
> from Computer A over to computer B. Remember the partition designation
> and directory where you transferred the DVD to. Burn a copy of the
> boot.iso to a CDROM. Boot from the boot image and select install from CD.
>
> I believe the above is close but not 100% reliable for a how-to. It
> sounds like it would be easier to burn the DVD and install from the DVD
> itself.
>
> > A currently has B:/nfs mounted in /mnt/B.
> > A can currently browse the iso ok.
>

> I'm confused to the B: reference. Are you using FC4 or MS systems for
> the mounts?
Well, []at least] one of us is confused.<g>
A was the system being upgraded, B is the system that has the dvd iso
image sitting in /nfs, and is exported.
In /mnt I have subdirs corresponding to hostnames of the servers
sharing/exporting [via nfs]  various subdirs. So, in A's /mnt I have a
b dir (/mnt/b/).
No MS sharing going on at all here.

> > Question: How do I get the show on the road.
>
> Burn a DVD or read how to install Fedora from an ISO image transferred
> to disk.
If I were able to find that info I wouldn't ask. I googled a LOT.

Thank you much.
-nat