Re: Duplicate packages - what do I do?

awrobinson@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
OK, now that I know the duplicates are supposed to be there, any harm in
leaving them all? Any benefit?

I'm having trouble getting a 'yum upgrade' to complete. It's probably a
different issue, but I'll ask since it's marginally related. Yum knows
the difference between the i386 and x86_64 packages, doesn't it?

Andrew

awrobinson@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On a new install of FC4 x86_64, I find that I'm getting duplicate

It's normal: one is i386 arch for 32-bit programs and one is 64-bit.

For example, arts:

# rpm -q --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION} %{ARCH}\n" arts
arts-1.5.1 x86_64
arts-1.5.1 i386

You can nuke just one arch by, eg,

#rpm -e arts.i386

I think you get a problem if you install for x86_64, because you get all the x86_64 packages when you may not be interested in all of them. For example firefox to which the plug-ins (or at least many of them) do not work with the x86_64 version. You will the have to remove the x86_64 version and install the i386 version. There is no way during the installation phase afaik to select whichever version you want.

And when you have finally installed the system with the mix of versions you want what are you then supposed to do with the unused duplecates. Is it safe to keep them or should you nuke them?

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen