Re: What do you think of Centos

Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Identifying with RHAT and acknowledging the benefits we get from their
>> work are Good Things, but there is nothing wrong with respins IMO,
>> legally or morally, in fact its the whole idea.
>
> That is absolutely untrue.  The "whole idea" of the GPL and Free
> software is to allow anyone to "add value" to what's out there.

I did not see that phrase in the license, somewhat annoying if it is
actually meant to be the "whole idea".

> That's not what CentOS and White Box do.  They take someone else's
> work, remove references to the people that did the work, and package
> it up so that you can "freely" use Red Hat's efforts in creating RHEL.
>
> They are not adding value.  They are not "making changes that are
> helpful to the community" they are not acting in the spirit of Free
> software.  They're leeching off Red Hat's hard work and yes, despite
> the removal of trademarks, Red Hat's hard fought for and won
> reputation, to let people get at the work without going through Red
> Hat.  That's called "ripping them off."
>
> That is *not* the spirit of Free software.  That *not* "the whole idea."

We'll have to agree to disagree Chris, since I feel a new flamewar is
otherwise about to start.  I stand by what I said earlier, which
explained my take pretty clearly.  If you don't see my points then we'll
both live :-)

-Andy