Re: M$ question [OFF TOPIC]

On 22 Feb 2006 at 8:21, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:21:11 -0800
From:           	"Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx>
To:             	"For users of Fedora Core releases (E-mail)" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	M$ question [OFF TOPIC]
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> Sorry Folks,
>
> I know this is a fedora group (I have fedora systems too) and
> I hope some of you are tolerant of *gasp* windoes.
>
> I am desperate so I need to ask if anyone had any experience
> in trying to create/copy the entire M$ windows OS (win2k pro) from
> a main (old) drive to a new (bigger) drive successfully?  I am trying
> to get off of an old drive, transfer the contents of the old to a newer
> drive and remove the old drive.  I cannot get windows to boot off the
> new drive.
>
> Here is what I tried to do:
>
> 1) Use Maxtor's disk utility:
>
>    a) Created 3 partitions; 36GB, 50GB, 50GB (from a 200GB HD) and
>        was forced to keep total # of space used to <= 137GB due to
>        the fact my old system does not support it (BIOS and MS 2000Pro)
>
>    b) Used partition to partition copy
>
>    Results: booting on the new drive worked however had a problem with
>    missing pagefile.sys - and the fact that explorer will not run no matter
>    what user you log in as.  Followed everything to restore pagefile.sys
>    but does not solve problem with user login (refuses to bring up the
>    user's profile / run explorer - but otherwise allows login to work but
>    limited context)
>
> 2) Used Norton's ghost 2002
>
>     This works well however ghost does not recogize specific partition
>     pre-created on the destination drive and wants to claim the whole
>     drive.  I was not given any choice to choose the specific destination
>     partition desired and it wants a NEW parition EVERY TIME.
>
> 3) Used M$'s own backup/restore program (lite version of Backup Exec)
>     and it pretty much useless while you are running in windows as most
>     critical files are NOT backed up successfully due to open files. A restore
>     does not create a full and perfect copy of the drive being backed up.
>     Pretty useless so it seems.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Kind regards,
> Dan

In addition to some of the other comments already, what is the bios
configuration of the drive? I've worked with G4L (ghost for linux), and when
moving to a larger drive it is usually critical that the number of heads and
sectors per track need to be the same when moving to a larger drive. The
number of total tracks can be greater. I just imaged a 40GB drive to a
250GB drive, and then took the free space to make another partition
afterwards. I found that Norton would not recognize newer linux partitions,
so they could only be copied using the sector mode.

Is the Maxtor software loading a special program to get around the bios like
ontrack, which might be why ghost doesn't see the other partitions correctly?
Have you looked to see if a BIOS upgrade is available for the machine to
support the larger drivers.

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx