Re: Error installing HPLIP on FC2

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 22 February 2006 00:53, Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

I've gotten the HPLIP package from sourceforge, and have
done

$ ./configure --disable-network-build
$ make

both of which ran to completion, seeemingly without error.

When when I try to do the

# make install

Pardon, I used

# checkinstall make install

But I tried again, just to check, and

# make install

and this seemed to succeed. It seems that checkinstall
has a defect, I guess.

So, any help with *that*? :-)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Mike, but I have used
configure make checkinstall
and everything has been fine. Checkinstall replaces install, AIUI, simply creating an rpm which then can be installed with yum.

In theory, yes. However, I got the idea from searching (the third
Google I actually got a hit which looked close) and found another
guy who had a similar problem with a different package (but the
same python .so files), and when he abandoned checkinstall, it worked.
That's what gave me the idea.

The docu with checkinstall does say that some things don't quite work.

BTW, HPLIP's "toolbox" didn't work with my printer, and gave errors.
The interface looks nice, but it gave I/O errors which were difficult
to interpret.

When I looked at the docu more closely, it seems that it doesn't
actually support my exact model. It supports the 800 series, but
not the 870 C, and only HPIJS really works with the 870 C. So, the work
of building HPLIP and getting it installed actually was wasted.
This was my fault, though, for not reading the docs in *detail*,
though the docs might make more of a point that the exact model
must be checked, as some depart from the general series' attributes.

I did a make uninstall, and both more and less disappeared than
was needed. My printer quit working altogether.

With the kind help of Gene Heskitt, I was able to get more info
out of CUPS and fixed the problem. It appears that HPLIP also
installed HPIJS. Well, I had a pre-existing installation of HPIJS,
but the "uninstall" was not cognizant of that, and killed some
of my HPIJS install. It also did not remove all files it had
put in various and sundry places, which I had to find by hand
and remove.

I was in somewhat of a quandary, when it occurred to me that simply
make install on HPIJS might fix things, and thankfully it did.
Happily, I still had my build directory for HPIJS intact,
and in a separate place from where I built HPLIP. Just a habit
of mine, never to mix things up, and to let them stay around
for a bit.

In order to get my python .so files back the way they were, I had to
use my backup from a week ago.

Oh, HPLIP also created an entry for a printer which the GNOME
Print Manager could not do anything with, neither edit it,
nor delete it, nor show its properties, nor select it as the
default printer. It simply showed it as a queue which
was there. Uninstalling HPLIP did not remove that entry, either.
I had to edit that entry out of /etc/cups/printers.conf
by hand.

All in all, I'm somewhat disappointed in HPLIP and its installation
procedure. It seems that if all worked, it would be great. But if
it doesn't work, then the backout is seriously flawed. I've come
to expect better than that of HP, which is usually great.

I suspect that if I got another printer which HPLIP fully supports,
and installed HPLIP, then later removed that printer and got another
which HPLIP does not support, then backout of HPLIP would be just
as gruesome all over again. So my decision at the moment is not
ever to use HPLIP, even if I get a printer it supports properly.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.