Re: What do you think of Centos

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 16:39 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I hope I'm not starting a flame war.
>
> Can someone pls tell me the ups and down between Centos and FC?
> I'm familiar with FC4 and some things that I like from it:
> 1. The available packages are abundant. Very easy to find packages for FC4.
> 2. The user list is very active and friendly too (I have subscribed to Centos
> list and seems like they're friendly too :)

For starts, Fedora is fast moving, where is CentOS, which is based on
RHEL, is slow moving and stable. As a result, Fedora has much more
packages (in external repositories such as Livna, FreshRPMs, etc) and
will always have the new packages.

If you are looking to setup a desktop in a non-24x7-production
environment (where you cannot afford downtime), use Fedora.
If you looking for a long term, stable environment, and you prefer
stable over latest-and-greatest, get CentOS.

Gilboa